Monday, July 7, 2008

New Movie: Hancock

You'd think a person who has cancelled cable would not be watching so much tv, wouldn't you? Well, we watched Hancock, which is out in theaters right now. I STILL have not seen Caspian, but there you have it. I only get to see man movies. Good thing I enjoy most of them. I do draw the line at horror movies and Alien vs. Predator, that kind of thing. However, I really enjoy some weird movies. Like Tank Girl. Don't ask me why I love that movie. I really don't know. I just do.

As an aside, if you have Windows Vista, you can watch the Olympics online on NBC. I'm soooo excited about that. Francis has Vista Ultimate on his computer. I knew it was good for something! :)

Hancock is good if you don't mind violence and cussing. There is no nakedness, really, and not much romance. Certainly nothing out of line there. I really like this movie a lot because it is a totally original superhero movie. It cracks me up. It opens with Will Smith on a park bench drunk out of his mind and ready to drink some more. He goes off to save people, and he's drinking booze while he's flying! He flies like a drunk driver. He's extremely casual, shall we say. You have to laugh. Then we get into "he just needs some love" and you think it's all ok now til we throw quite a monkey wrench into things. And then it turns out that it is quite philosophical about how the possibility of death is what makes life really real.

Strangely enough, that death topic came up on Battlestar Galactica and also in my newest Gonzaga Quarterly alumni newspaper. Isn't it weird how topics come up in spurts like that? I will digress completely if I go off on that tangent -- that's one for another post. But I will ask this: If you were going to die this year, what would you do differently?

1 comment:

  1. Fun question :-)

    If I knew I had the rest of the year and if I knew I would keep my physical health until I got near the end of my life, I would focus first on getting my own life in order, and then making the best use of it that I could. I would seek out counseling, a religious advisor, make my will, and focus more on my own potential and less on my family's. I would be more selfish about making something out of my own life, and would worry less about supporting my family's potential. After all, this would be my last chance to model a good life for them.

    I would make time to volunteer, go on a mission trip, and basically go through my "planned mid-life crisis" a decade early. I would spend more time in prayer, and while I would invite my family to join me, I wouldn't wait for them. I would keep my job as long as I could, because my family will need the money when I am gone.

    Actually, this answer surprises me. I would expect I would want to spend more time with my family, but I really find that I want to try and give my family something more lasting than memories. I would want to give them an example of faith and of a good death, and I would want them to recall how I lived and be less afraid.

    Thanks for the review of Hancock, we'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.