Saturday, July 19, 2008

British vs. American ideas on birth

This is a good one! www.greasyjoan.blogspot.com, thanks to the DHM, brings you this interesting study in how much we can deny research if it just doesn't serve our purpose.
I will interject here that I haven't done a home birth. I have done three water births with midwives, my husband, the occasional nurse, and my husband at a certified center. Last time there were two midwives and two midwifery students. Students have to have actively attended 100 births plus numerous classes before they can be certified. Many states currently outlaw midwife births outside of hospitals, because they are "unsafe". I have words for that. They sound like baloney, only more so. Notice the following talks about low risk pregnancies. High risk ones should be in hospitals. But we should have that choice, always!
For the record, we love www.birthcenter.com!!!

12 July 2008

Women and Children First?

The L.A. Times posted an opinion piece from author Jennifer Block. As you are well aware, the American Medical Association, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists et al seem to be on the defensive. Perhaps it has to do with celebrities planning homebirths and making films about it.

These folks are all for patient autonomy when it lines their pockets, e.g., inductions of labor and maternal choice cesareans, but when it doesn't, they have a collective conniption. It's kind of fun to watch.

Block says:

Last year I flew to Britain to be with a good friend for the birth of her first child. She's American but married into Britain's National Health Service, lucky duck. The differences in the prenatal care she got there were striking. First and foremost, she never saw a doctor. As a healthy woman with a normal pregnancy, she saw midwives. And one of their first questions to her was, "So, would you like to give birth in the hospital maternity ward or at home?"


All the available evidence suggests that, with some caveats (the midwife is trained, certified in neonatal resusitation, the mother's health falls within normal parameters, and a cooperating hospital is close by) homebirth is a safe, reasonable choice for many women. Ironically, midwives in the countries whose childbearing outcomes are the best are not nurses as well.

Block goes on:

Organized medicine can't believe this. Dismissing the research evidence, the AMA resolution states that "the safest setting for labor, delivery and the immediate postpartum period is in the hospital" or an accredited birth center. In its own statement earlier this year, the American College of Ob/Gyns went even further, implying that women who choose home birth are selfish and irresponsible: "choosing to deliver a baby at home ... is to place the process of giving birth over the goal of having a healthy baby."

Compare that to this information in Britain's NHS-issued handout my friend was given at her first prenatal appointment: "There is no evidence to support the common assertion that home birth is a less safe option for women experiencing uncomplicated pregnancies." In a joint statement last year, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Royal College of Midwives said, "There is no reason why home birth should not be offered to women at low risk of complications, and it may confer considerable benefits for them and their families."

The AMA's statement calls for legislation that could be used against women who choose home birth, possibly resulting in criminal child-abuse or neglect charges. The group says this is about safety, but with no credible research to back up its claim, this argument falls flat. Women are simply caught in a turf war over the maternity market, and it would appear that the physicians' groups are perfectly willing to trample the modern medical ethic of patient autonomy -- grounded in our legal rights to self-determination, to liberty and to privacy -- in their grab for control.


So often we forget that the AMA/ACOG are *trade organizations*, not nice people in white lab coats making objective, scientific decisions based on all the evidence for the benefit of women and children. They are doing what they are supposed to do for their members, that is, protect their market share and find ways to get more.

They can do that in several ways. Creating a demand for their service, check. Keeping out competitors, check. Legislating that all potential customers use services of their members, working on that one.

It's lack of respect for maternal autonomy and restraint of trade, purely and simply. Posted by greasy joan at 7/12/2008 |

4 comments:

  1. Christopher was born with only a faint heartbeat, and he was rescued by NICU (who the nurse requested to be in our room when I pushed). I thank God for having been in a hospital. I do agree hospitals interviene way too much though. I was given an epidural with Chris because another labor nurse (not the one who ordered NICU) miscalculated how dialated I was and was worried. I studied Bradley method and held my ground during Elena's birth and they pretty much left Roger and I alone until push time. Very different experience in a hospital knowing your rights and what to expect. My friend delivered at Evergreen with a midwife. Plenty of hospitals are set up to allow midwife births, with the added comfort of ability to be wheeled down the hall in an emergency. I can tell you Chris full story one day. He was an Apgar of 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Chris sure turned out healthy! That is a scary thing, all right. I just don't like all the rhetoric that all midwife homebirths are bad. It's not based on fact, just fear. But I'm glad you were able to get immediate help for Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad for the "hospital midwife" option. I was the low-risk end of "high-risk", expecting twins but otherwise being in pretty much the lowest risk situation. I was able to work with midwives, but was closely monitored near the end of my pregnancy. My last ultrasound showed that the most recent position change of the babies (who were still flipping around at 37 weeks) left the umbilical cord of one baby presenting - very high risk of prolapsed cord, and the situation becomes dangerous as soon as the water breaks since the cord can get washed out before the baby. C-section the next day, and it was appropriate.

    But at the same time, I know that was a statistically unlikely occurence (and I WAS high-risk, not a good homebirth candidate). I would fully support a home-birthing friend, and have heard lots of great home birth stories (although only one from a non-internet friend that I can recall - I'm sure I've heard other stories IRL, but since it seems kind of normal to me I can't remember who precisely).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article. I'm all about home birth. I did the hospital birth thing once and it was okay but not my cup of tea. I much prefer being at home and having one or two midwives around to help me through. And even though Katie at 11 lbs got her shoulders stuck on the way out I believe I was better of with a midwife than I would have been in a hospital. She reached in pulled her out and Katie didn't even need oxygen. I know they would have never allowed that in the hospital but I'm glad it happened that way for us - the biggest bonus was I didn't even tear!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.