Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lookin' for a doggy in the window...

We're considering getting a dog.

There. I guess that makes it real. I have had lots of dogs, but never in the city. DH has had one goldfish, that died, and we had a cat for a few years til we bequeathed him to my sister because of allergies.

The kids would love a dog.

Last week we borrowed our friends' poodle. They homeschool also, and live in our townhome group, and their poodle was a hit, with the kids and with allergies. No problema. In fact, she must have liked it here, because after the trial run was over, we were getting ready to go somewhere, and she was back! Her owners didn't know yet, because their two year old had let her loose. When Mommy came downstairs, the baby said, "Dog gone!" "What?" "Dog gone!" and pointed out the door. Hilarious. Dog was with us, and we gave her back. I guess she liked us ok!
She was a great size for our little place.

I looked up labradoodles, because I have a hankerin' for something bigger. They are $2000 at least from a breeder!!!!! Holy cow!

Nixed that idea.

Now, I am spending time on Petfinder.com. I did find something awful cute in Longview, which is not more than three hours away from here if the traffic is good, five if it's bad. It is a Poodle/Bernese Mountain Dog puppy. There is a whole litter of them. In fact, I bet it's the same shelter where my sister R. go her dog, Thalia, when we were kids. They should be 60 lbs when grown, and my math teacher when I was in high school had the Bernese Mountain Dog breed in his house. It was a lovely dog, and good with kids. Not high energy, though. That's probably a good thing, to counteract the poodle part. As long as it took after the poodle in hair quality, hence the lack of allergens, it would be fine. $200 is all, but of course I know that upkeep would cost something, too, and a puppy is a LOT of work, so I'm not sure I'm ready for a chewy puppy in this house. Especially one that has lots of growing to do. ARGH.

I know better than to jump on that offer of a mix that I like, because I don't even have a crate and a crate that size won't even fit in our van, so it would have to lay on the floor in the car, etc. DH is probably not quite ready for this undertaking, either.

All the kids are, though. Really ready.

Maybe I ought to go sort dishes or laundry and clear my mind.
Tips, ideas, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. They are a lot of work and money but lots of fun too! Choose your battles! My kiddos would love to play with one if you get it! So would my dog, I think. (-:

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.