Friday, July 31, 2009

Science conundrum for homeschoolers

I'd say that the one kind of curriculum we homeschoolers constantly change is probably math. We are always trying to find the "best" thing that will "work" for the most kids. And it's really hard. But I think I have that covered this year.

What I am having trouble with is science.

I usually use Mother of Divine Grace School's recommendations. There is a curriculum called Concepts and Challenges and it is listed under Emmanuel Books. I looked at it, but I wasn't that excited about it. I was able to actually page through at a friend's house, so that I didn't buy something sight unseen and spend a lot of money on it. It looked slightly more interesting than the stuff I read in school as a kid. Not awful, just not exciting.

At least not as exciting as this, from Apologia Press.

and this , which is their "notebooking" book to go with their Botany book.

The same company does "Exploring Creation with Biology" and others by Dr. Jay Wile. They are very, very scientifically sound, they simply add one thing: God. They give God credit as creator of a beautiful world and all that nature has in store for us. I happen to like that feature. I have also graded MODG work in the biology course, and thought, gee, this looks like a real biology course. And then I asked my husband, whose degree, it happens, is in biology, and he said the same thing. So it wasn't my fevered homeschooler imagination. Ha!

Another friend and I were thinking we'd do science together this year, mostly to keep each other honest (and to make me do science experiments which somehow always get put off forever). If we both choose the same one, then ta da! problem solved. I just want to be sure that this will work out long term. I think so. Also, if we pick astronomy, we have friend's grandpa who'd be all over the telescope at 2 am thing.

Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Just say "no" to science! :P I prefer nature walks and informal study for K-8. I did have my kids read science history related to the time period we were covering in history/lit reading though.

    Of course, what do I know? My kids are going back to public school this fall and I'll only be "afterschooling" them catechism and Latin.

    If you must do experiments, having a friend go in with you is probably the best way to go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, what???? I had no idea you were going back to public school. You must catch me up on your life sometime.
    We're thinking of pairing up with another family, and the kids love it, and so do we, it's just a matter of prioritizing for me.
    What's up, lady? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.