Thursday, July 23, 2009

Home Demolition Derby

We are insane.

My husband says I am nesting. I don't know WHAT he's talking about. Do you? :)

I can't move into a new house unless we fix this one. I know it will take about a year of work to even show our 967 sq ft. townhome. By the time I want to sell it, seven people will live here! So I'm going to do a real good job on the first impression thing, where they walk in the door. The bedrooms may never be viewable.

That being said, this started with us wanting to remove all carpet downstairs. So I bought that awesome laminate at Costco for just over a dollar a square foot on sale. YES! So glad I did.

But then we looked up and said, "I hate popcorn ceilings." We figured if we were going to empty the room anyway, let's do that. So this weekend, our construction guy neighbor and his buddy are going to come remove them, only downstairs. And haul all the garbage away, too. I really don't mind paying them for that at all. Especially since it might be 90 degrees this weekend.

Then we decided to think about paint. In all 10 years of marriage, we have never painted. Never lived anywhere long enough! So here we go... can't wait to show you pics!

And the kitchen counter. We need to rewire and put in a new sink and counter. Exciting!! The best part is, we don't appear to be fighting much over choices. Thank goodness. I hear some people get really stuck on this stuff, but we're not! So far so good! I guess we're both so happy that we even are talking about this stuff and have some extra money to pay for it with (not for long), we just keep going til we agree.

Like baby names.... sigh.

So the order of things is as follows:
Popcorn ceilings: this weekend, maybe next weekend, too.
After they are done, wall painting, only downtairs.
When the walls are done: install laminate
Clean and repaint grout in tile in doorway. Can replace next year.
Have Lowe's come in and do counter and sink. I need my kitchen, can't spend a couple days on it. Well, I could, but I REALLY don't want to, and I don't want to mess it up.
Put in new linoleum in kitchen/laundry room.

This all costs about $700 except the kitchen counter sink part. That's the part that might easily double the bill. But it's not your 20K makeover, that's for darn sure! :)

Before and after pics to follow. We hope to have this all done by August 15th. Thank goodness this is the last week of night shift, and then we can actually work on this together after work!! Yay!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are totally taking the right approach to remodeling, from what I read - minor improvements (from a cost POV) tend to get better returns for your money, or so sayeth the articles I've read. Apparently renovations only make back their cost in the selling price about 50% of the time . . . but they are talking big renovations. The articles are usually quick to point out that small renovations usually get a return (if you don't paint your rooms bright orange with green polka-dots, at least).

    I can't wait to see the finished effect for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.