Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I can finally post big news! Finally!

Lots of people already know this, but have been sworn to secrecy for some time in case things went sideways, and then wouldn't we feel silly.

My husband got a job at Microsoft! We are sooooo thrilled. He will be working in the same building he worked in as a temp about four years ago, even working the same shift eventually. He beat seven people out of this one position. The interview was even pretty non-threatening, since they mostly wanted to see if he remembered anything from being there before. While his raise was not large at all, the fact that all our medical, dental and vision will be covered, right down to orthodontia, is considered a HUGE raise at our house. That's more than $300 a month we don't have to pay anymore. Some months, it's a lot more.

There are a few downsides. One, his schedule will continually change til March. First month, starting December 8th, he will work normal 9-5, Monday to Friday hours while he's being trained. Then, he will work swing shift, I assume same days, for three months. After that, he will go to nights, and stay there for quite a while. He also will be going to Issaquah, which is even further than the hour commute he currently has to Bellevue.

We have one really good car, and we have a beater with a misfiring ignition, which no one seems to be able to fix and we don't expect to have for long. As long as the engine stays somewhat cold, it does ok. But that means you can't drive it much further than a bus stop. Once DH gets on the funky shifts, we think he will need the van, which leaves me with the beater or nothing. Which is ok, but still, not wonderful. Especially for cub scout meetings late in the day. With overtime, he may not return on time, and I may not be able to get there either, because he may have the van. We'll see how long the beater lasts.

We think this will be temporary, but I sure am glad I listened to that little voice in my head that said, "You really don't want to sign the kids up for basketball or swimming this winter." I wasn't sure why that voice was there, but now I know. God is awfully good to me. I have a great guardian angel. And here I thought I was just saving money.

So, good news: Microsoft benefits are numerous and wonderful. The job has tons of upward mobility and rewards for good work. In this sagging economy, we won the lottery, basically. My husband is the coolest and God is good.

Bad news: long commute, not able to buy a new car but will make do with what we have for now. Low man on totem pole for time being. Gotta figure out how to make buses work for new location. Night shift will be a bear, but we've done it before.

Nope, it's all good news. I can live with inconvenience. I have lived with far worse than that! :)

I'm so proud of my honey!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Yaaaayyyy!!! Seeing this on your blog makes it so much more real. Yay benefits!

    If the car thing gets rough for you, maybe we could car-swap for a bit. Our van probably just needs a new battery (I need to blog on that), and we'll be getting it checked over thoroughly in the next week or two just in case it's more than that. It sure would be a lot easier for us to make do with a non-minivan than it would be for you, what with us having only two kids and neither of them old enough for extra-curriculars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're ok for now, but thanks!
    Um...

    Heh heh...

    I did mention the battery might be failing. Did I not?

    ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but your husband is forgetting about us poor innocent children left behind over here to do all the work!!!! Drowning now.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and sorry about the car thing. Our "extra" car sold this summer. I will keep an eye out though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Vanilla!
    Yeah, I know we didn't buy YOUR car, but we'll probably look for something only a couple years old to be sure... one of these days.
    Sorry to relay the news.... he'll still come gaming though...
    Love,
    me

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.