Tuesday, November 4, 2008

from Because I Said So...

This is totally how it works in my family. You can only get sick at certain times. This lady has the greatest blog and is coming out with a book. Somebody buy it for me, ok?

Saturday, November 1, 2008
What? I Can't Hear You!
Jackson didn't feel well when I picked him up at school for lunch yesterday. He didn't want to go back to school; he just wanted to lie down. On the other hand, he really didn't want to miss the Halloween festivities. He didn't have a fever so I left it up to him and told him he could stay home with my parents who were watching Clay and Brooklyn or he could go back to school with me. He chose to stick it out and return to school.

After class, he went trick-or-treating with some friends and their parents. After a few minutes, he came home complaining that his ear hurt.

"Well, it's a holiday so it stands to reason that someone would get sick."

"I'm not sick. My ear just hurts," Jackson corrected me.

"We'll see," I said. "We'll see."

Jackson woke up today with horrible pain in his ear. It was before 9:00 AM when he told me his ear was hurting really badly.

"Don't you know you're supposed to wait until Saturday night or Sunday to tell me you can't take the ear pain and need to see the doctor?" I asked Jackson.

"Huh?" came his confused reply.

"I believe the rule is that you can only get sick Saturday night, Sunday, holidays, or on vacation. You're confusing me by getting sick during regular office hours."

Jackson wasn't amused.

I called the office when they opened at 9:00 and drove Jackson over to be seen. The doctor took a look at his ear and said something reassuring like, "Yikes! That is one nasty infection!"

A stop at the drug store and $20 later, we came home and he took his first dose. He lay down and starting really crying that he was in pain. I got some Motrin, but before I could give it to him, he said, "Huh, my ear feels better now. It doesn't hurt. Weird. It feels all drippy and wet though. I still can't hear with this ear though."

"What?" I asked him.

"I still can't hear with this ear," he repeated.

"What?"

"I still can't hear with this ear," he repeated again.

"What? I can't hear you."

"I still can't....MOM! Stop it!"

LOL! Ahhh, that one never gets old.

I took a look and sure enough, his ear was draining blood and stuff. "Well, it's been a year since someone had a perforated ear drum. I guess it's about time for another one. Come to think of it, it's been several months since strep throat made its rounds through our family too..."

*****Head on over to my review blog HERE for some awesome giveaways over the next week or two.*****

Posted by Dawn at 11:59 AM 33 comments Links to this post
blog comments powered by Disqus