Friday, October 31, 2008

Reading too much

Yup, I have a problem. I'm reading too much. If that's possible, then I am doing it. Outside of, say, college. In college, there's definitely a problem of reading too much, but that's forced, and this isn't. Did I mention that during my first semester at college, my mom sent me the first five books of the Redwall series? Do you know how Not Good that was? I already was trying to read what I was assigned, and then there were these fabulous new books that I could read. Wow. Don't do that if you have a bookworm for a kid. Don't worry, I didn't lower my grades. Luckily for me, education is not a hard major at all. Not lucky for the kids we teach, but lucky for students becoming teachers. But that's another post.

I just want to write down how ridiculous this is. I am still leaning toward a book journal. Here is what I've started on and not finished:

1. A Cry of Stone by Michael O'Brien
2. The Abolition of Man by CS Lewis
3. How Not To Share Your Faith by Mark Brumley
4. Volume One: Thoughts on Spirituality by "Anne", A lay apostle
5. Amazing Grace for the Catholic Heart by Jeff Cavins; Mathew Pinto; Patti Armstrong

Hmmm... obviously we have a theme here, don't we. Lest you think I'm one-sided, I do go through "phases". I go through fiction, then non-fiction, housekeeping books, then Harry Potter, then Sci-fi,then parenting and marriage, and on and on. But two of those books were gifts for my birthday, and two are from our parish library, and the other I picked up at the All Saints Day party the other night for free. So at least I'm not paying for my habit!

If I were going to recommend one of these for busy people right now, I'd recommend CS Lewis' Abolition of Man. It's practically an introduction to why to homeschool for me! I know that sounds weird, but he just totally made my case for why I'm not "socializing" my children in the regular school system. Between the watered down curriculum and the things I don't want my kids to learn yet, I will find other places in the community to get them to meet people. It's very hard for me to explain in my own words, though. Sometimes I'm not good with the "words coming out of my mouth" thing. I could never, ever be a politician. I'm just not quick on the draw.

If you go to www.amazon.com, you can leaf through the pages of some of these books while you are waiting for my book report. That's fun stuff, that is.

Also, How Not to Share Your Faith is an extremely good book on arguing in general, and how to be a good person instead of a jerk while you disagree with someone. For the record, I think I've probably committed all seven of the sins he talks about in the book. Oops.

Good, good stuff.

1 comment:

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.