Monday, October 6, 2008

Class of 1998 Rocks!

I was gone all weekend and did not have access to the internetz til now. Four days with no email! Francis could pick up an unsecured wi fi connection most places on his PDA, but apparently yahoo mobile does not translate well, and I could not check email. Oh, the withdrawals. They were awful. Ha.
The only bad thing is that there are 160 emails to go through. But I did most of that already.

A good thing was that DH put on his good suit for the first time since May, and guess where my pink cell phone has been all that time??? YES! I have my favorite cell phone back! I can now enjoy it again. The one I got to replace it was awful.

My 10 year reunion at Gonzaga University was awesome. There were lots of people I knew from all kinds of clubs and activities and the halls I once lived in. Honestly, my first hall and my freshmen year is where I met most of the people I saw, with a few I met over the course of four years added in for fun. Most of them I lived with, rowed with, or did service projects with. We also added to our scholarship fund, so now our class has a $25,000 endowment with which to fund a $1000 scholarship every year for someone who needs it. Not too shabby.

Also, 17 buildings have been built since I left. No kidding. The place is nearly unrecognizeable. Some of us were worried that maybe the spirit of the place had been diminished by the huge growth in the last 10 years, but no... I can tell it is possibly even a better place than before. Amazing. The friendly, giving, loving spirit of the place is still palpable, and not just because they'd like me to donate money. Fr. Spitzer was also helpful in allaying our fears that we'd never ever be able to afford the place for our kids, so I'm hopeful that if they want to go, they might be able to. Maybe without owing a zillion dollars, if we're lucky. We're still holding out for that soccer scholarship, though.
We enjoyed very much staying with the parents of our family friends. Their hospitality is unbelievable. It made the visit very nice because we could really relax between events and not be expected to do much. We stopped in Leavenworth on the way there to get fancy wine and cheese for our hosts, because we had three nights for free and were so incredibly grateful.
The kids are now all sick, of course, because we drove 700 miles in a weekend and kept them up til 10 pm. Of course, their parents weren't as sick as some parents were, who decided that the call of Jack and Dan's was too much to resist, and so the bar crawling went on til 2 am or so for two nights. I would like to have joined folks, and unbelievably, I've never been to Jack and Dan's or the Bulldog for drinks, but maybe it will have to wait til Francis' 20th, when we can leave kids because they are big kids and don't need babysitters.
We had the best time. It was nice to know so many people. The funniest part to me is to see people become parents when you know what they did in college when they were drunk, and now they are all responsible and stuff. I'm glad we all were happy to see each other. Apparently this was the largest turn out from one class for a reunion ever, so we must be a pretty awesome class. I had a good class in high school, too. Must be something special about the year 1975-76. Something in the water that year.
Time to go unpack. I'll be back to blogging like usual soon.
blog comments powered by Disqus