Friday, September 12, 2008

Permaculture

I was having some fun at the library the other day. I had come across this term while nannying once. I personally think it's the fancy name the hippy environmentalists gave to their cause to make it sound better than "hippy environmentalist". It does sound better, and they do have some really, really cool ideas. I really enjoyed the magazine I picked up, it even had a parenting article that compared the parenting journey to that of a farmer, and it was quite a good piece. I guess the author is the same guy who wrote, "Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal". I must look up that author, I guess. I enjoy many hippy things, but when they get into the Gaia stuff, I do have to back up a bit. Sorry, but Christ's spot is already taken.
Anyway, www.permaculture.org is a good place to start clicking links and exploring. The idea is to leave a very small footprint on the Earth, and to work with it instead of against it, to live off the land and improve your neighborhood while you are there. Also, teaching interested people about it comes up again and again. Bartering, communal living, recycling water, building your house out of adobe and hay bales... etc. etc. I find it totally fascinating. My only problem is I might have a hard time selling my house if I built it that way, or else someone would really be happy to buy it. It would take a while to find that person.
I should back up and explain that part of my fascination has to do with the community atmosphere of Mendocino County, CA, home of the best marijuana in the world (I hear!) Hey, I read it in the paper once, so I guess it must be pretty good stuff. Anyway... it's where the hippies from San Francisco went when they were done with their protests and other such fun. A good place to go, I might add, it's just gorgeous. There were quite a few communes near us, in fact, I read once that Winona Ryder lived in one near the same time and place as I. There were also lots of books at the Gallery Bookshop in Mendocino on alternative building methods. One of the books even showcased our neighbor up the street, who had put a new door and side on our ancient barn.
I love the idea of living with the land. What really stops me is 1. land prices and 2. TIME! No one who hasn't lived it realizes that you can farm, or you can have another life. You really have to give up a lot to be a farmer. It has to BE your life. You can't go on vacation unless there is another farmer nearby who'd love to help you out, and even then, you are taking a huge risk that something will go horribly wrong while you are gone. You sure can't leave during lambing or calving season!
If anyone can recommend good books about building alternative housing, I'd love to know. I guess I should go to www.gallerybookshop.com. They are a great bookstore.
Hey, Rikki! I think I found something you can get me for my birthday, since you asked. Sensible, but cheap, methods of building your own home books.
:)
blog comments powered by Disqus