Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My friend needs prayers for her cancer

Dear Friends,
The following entry is from my friend Jennifer's Caringbridge website. It is as I had feared, since she's been in stage 3 or 4 cancer since 2002. She got married about two years ago, I think, to a wonderful guy. She lives in Santa Clara or thereabouts. I am very sad to read this, but I hope that prayers may prevail. I am hopeful that her example will inspire others. Jennifer (Wagner) Estes and I went to GU together and lived in the same hall her freshman year.
Prayers!




This is the most difficult journal entry I will have to write thus far. I apologize if it has been a long time since my last entry, but it has been very difficult for me since I started chemo to sit down and concentrate.

I started chemo on 9/16 and completed a total of 4 days. It was extremely difficult as each day passed because I had to get out of bed, shower, get dressed and travel the distance from my house to Stanford and back. These little tasks we take for granted were 10 times more difficult for me due to pain, nausea, etc. I am glad it only lasted 4 days. I went in on Saturday for a white/red cell booster shot.

It will take 7-10 days from my last day of chemo (9/19) to feel better; however, my pain has worsened. We went to see my oncologist this last Monday (9/22) for a long discussion/check-up. What he basically told me was that he does not think the chemo will work as fast as the tumor growth. Having to increase medication to treat symptoms such as pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. is not a good sign. The other components of the biochemo treatment he does not feel my body can withstand.

I point-blank asked my oncologist if I was dying . . . and he said yes. These next 2 weeks will only tell us if another round of chemo is necessary depending on my recovery from their side effects from the first round. He does not think it will work, but stays hopeful, as I do.

I am starting to think about how much time I may have left. That was another question I had for him and he said it could weeks, months, longer - we do not know. So my goal is to rest and feel better and start having some fun while making arrangements. When the time comes, we will have hospice help.

I am sorry to have to tell all of you this news in an impersonal way, but having this relentless discussion is depressing, tiring and time-comsuming because people have so many questions. I don't mind questions, but I want to get the initial news out of the way. If you want to come and visit for a bit, we have some people who have mentioned wanting to come by starting next week (not Tuesday), so call Peter's cell if you want to come by (408-421-3925).

Thanks for your continued support and we love you all ~ Jennifer:)
blog comments powered by Disqus