Sunday, September 7, 2008

Life update

I figured I was overdue for a rambling email about our family life right now. I wonder what I'll say? Hmmmm....

Well, we had a wonderful homeschooling week last week, because I (gasp) didn't go anywhere at all. At least it felt like that. I went nowhere from 9-12 and then it was lunch and naps, so I still didn't go anywhere til soccer practice at 5:30pm. On Friday, however, I really did go somewhere. I went to Rikki's house, and I babysat so she could volunteer at her daughter's kindergarten class and go see her husband after work, maybe even have a conversation or something.
We had nap time, clean up time, and then we did something completely unprecedented. We cleaned the garage so well, you can no officially park TWO CARS in it. Comfortably, even. That has NEVER happened. Not even close. We ordered pizza and the grandparents and another family arrived, so it was party city, and we were all tired at the end. Triumph!

Soccer went well. Both the boys' teams won on Saturday, and they were thrilled.
Brandon will be six on Wednesday, and his party is on Saturday, but don't you dare tell him. He is already much too excited.

I spent some time in the church library today, organizing books and also adding the homeschooling group's collection to our library. We keep storing our collection at people's houses, which means none of us actually use it, but now that it will be in a central location, I hope folks will start using it. Maybe people will see the cool things in the library, too. It has amazing books and videos in it, yet no one ever comes when I open it on first Sundays. I must need to advertise better. I even found a book by Archbishop Chaput today, who, by the way, is on the NY Times Bestseller List right now. The one I found is "How NOT To Share Your Faith". I have been meaning to read that one and look forward to it. The good news about the library is that people are using the bookcase "outpost" in the hallway of one of the churches, so I have a box of things I'm going to put in there to refill it. Hooray! I don't see the people, but they are using the library after all!

The garden did well this year, but I hope everything gets good looking before the frost hits. I'm worried I'll have another green tomatoes year, so I'd better buy some plastic, quick. The raspberries and strawberries are bearing right now, which is weird and cool.

We are planning a couple of trips this fall: Sept 17-19 I'm going to Astoria to see my parents and sisters, since they will all be in range at the same time, probably staying in a tent if the weather holds. On the first weekend of October is my 10th Gonzaga Reunion, which I'm totally excited about, and will have babysitting for and a place to stay. Yay!

I guess that's it for now! I'm praying for a nice, mild September to make up for June.
blog comments powered by Disqus