Friday, August 28, 2009

What to write at 5am

My dear daughter got up at 3:30 am to tell me how someone was killing her with tweezers. I think this may have something to do with having put a rivet up her nose recently, and having had to go to the ER to get it out after Mom and Dad tried with tweezers but were worried they were doing more harm than good. Turns out, if you push their little noses into piggy position, you can reach up there and the scrunching up keeps them from moving their nose while you work. Took all of 30 seconds for the doctor to get it. Sigh. So she had a nightmare, perhaps several, and then around 4:45 I thought I'd go downstairs and just say hi to my husband before he leaves for work around 5am, which I never do. I just stay in bed. But even a whole Rosary did not put me back to sleep this time. I'll just be glad I went to sleep around 9:30. That means I did get six hours of sleep, which is just on the border of ok. My husband says during naptime I must go to bed today. Hm.. that would be if anyone in this house is interested in napping instead of a singing and dancing routine up there this time. Maybe a long movie this afternoon is in order. Say, the Incredibles.

Yesterday, I did too much. But it was fun. I went blackberry picking on the bike trail near my house with two friends, immediately followed by our homeschooler beach day, the last one. Then two hours at home and out the door for soccer. Brandon was plumb tired by 9pm. I should back up and say he just spent the night this week with his big sister by birth, Nicole, whom he adores. He is almost 7, she is 14. She is doing fantastic. We try to get together, but it doesn't happen as much as we'd like, her being a very busy teen with working parents, and us, well, not. But they had a great, great time, and he was sure tired. And I'm happy to report he actually did want to come home. I was kind of wondering if he'd pull his usual "I want to live with someone else", but somehow this time I think he was happy to see his bed. Maybe he knows where he belongs. I also found out, upon going to dinner, that his sister does not have as many birth family pics as we do. I find this out five years later? Well. I do believe I have a fair amount of scanning and prints to order before we see them at Brandon's birthday in a couple of weeks. She was glad to hear I even have a picture of her at birth, and how that ended up in Brandon's baby book, I have no idea. I'm glad it was mentioned!

So, planning. I need to make lists. Lots of lists. I think I will start with the one I hoped my husband would make, but he did the dishes instead, and who's going to complain about that? I need to make a list of what we expect to pay for that is outside the budget until the end of the year. This Dave Ramsey stuff really makes you want to think ahead. Shockingly adult of me, I know!

September (jeesh, coming right up)
Go to local fair
trip to Astoria for three days -- mostly gas
Brandon's birthday -- presents, cake, maybe a family outing
date nights if we go out
Buy chains for both cars, just in case

October
Go to see parents and also my friend and her maybe fiance. Must see boy. Very important.
Three birthdays in one week -- mine, Grace's and my father in law's
Halloween
snacks for soccer
buy popcorn off our own scouts (seems to happen every year)
(Put MODG check in savings, or use for Christmas? Hmmm....)

November
End of soccer parties and coach gifts
Thanksgiving
Baby (but no medical bills we know of, hooray!)

December
Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. It really gave me a glimpse of your life. You had some time and some free flowing thoughts because you were up sooooo early.

    How many children have you adopted? For the first time in my life I am actually open to the idea. I even had a dream that we adopted a little Native American boy from our town (not one I've ever met in real life). His name was Coyote Gene :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious, Holly! I have weird dreams when I'm pregnant. Is that normal for you? :)
    We only adopted Brandon, God keeps saying pregnancy is good for us just when I think fostering could be an option again, so I guess God knows Brandon is a little easily upset by having to share his space and too many leavetakings. He would not like it if I fostered again, so God just shuts the door in my face when I bring it up. That's ok, we have no more room anyway. When you're ready, check out a local foster parent intro class through CCS or DSHS or whatever you have down there. I can always recommend some books so you go into it with your eyes open,too. It's quite an experience. Good and bad of course, but quite a roller coaster. As one of my fostering friends said, "It makes you live day by day and trust in God completely, because what else can you do?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay, foster and adopt! It's fun and rewarding! I'm just excited 'cause I got my Google account to work and I love that picture! BTW, my house is clean!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.