Monday, August 3, 2009

A small bit more from Robin...

Here's the last bit...

These replies are not as thorough as some of the rest but they are ‘there’…let me know if you have more questions. I’ll continue to send the replies as I get them and then I’ll send the doc upon its completion. rjb



8. Order of the year: do you take time off? How do you motivate all year long?

Reply by Robin Betz: I do take A LOT Of time off. I tend to work like this:

Mid august start school year for some of all; always my middles and youngers. If I start my older kids I’ll start with math and probably the reading for some of their history and religion. Also, keep in mind, much of their summer reading is the required reading for the upcoming year; setting them up for success.

So, then, we often take a break by the end of September to get one last camp out in at the ocean. (Not always)

We always take the entire week of Thanksgiving off.

By Christmas we are week 16 and we take at least 2 weeks off.

We then take 3 weeks off at Easter; TWO before to clean and prepare our hearts leaving all of Holy week for the 'spiritualness' of it all. Then Easter week to play rest and begin gardening.

In doing this we are still able to take another week off if need be and still be done with school by testing the last week of May. We try to go away as a family that week leading up to testing before things get busy for the summer. We plan the summer fun; discuss what school we’ll be doing for the summer and any big changes.

During the summer we usually do 2 subjects per child; either lightly to brush up on things or wholly to replace something they’d be doing next year to lighten their load. Or, sometimes if they got behind they’ll be ‘catching up.’

9. Getting the entire subject covered?

Reply by Robin Betz:

As stated above; I think by making a plan and making sure one takes breaks; either longer ones like I do or shorter breaks more often, and stick to this plan to the best of your ability, you will feel more confident and more inspired to do so. I believe it is the times when we just go along, stopping for what ‘seems’ important that home school mom’s can feel a constant pressure yet also a constant temptation to sway from the plan. So, yes, we sometimes have issues getting the entire subject covered but I’m fully aware this is happening, it is a conscience choices and sometimes it’s perfectly acceptable, to stop short of completion depending on the subject and the demeanor of my child.

10. Several mom’s spoke of the challenge to be open to change; they spoke of being orderly and like to plan ahead.

Reply by robin bezt:

More often than not I meet idealistic mom’s , maybe my personality attracts these kinds of women, but the fact is, with so few boundaries and so many gifts and possibilities in homeschooling and in parenting in general, I believe we can fall into despair more easily than a mother who has a tendency to aim low or to procrastinate.

Mix Catholic, mother, wife and homeschooling with the tendency towards idealism and you have the potential for a rich life bringing forth Godly children; we also have the potential for neglecting our marriages and deep spiritual connection with God.

Homeschooling can either by our road to sanctity (and sanity J) or our downfall. We, as responsible adults should all be making plans and consulting God and other wise people who have gone before us for advice, however, we simultaneously must be open to change.
blog comments powered by Disqus