Wednesday, August 19, 2009

HPV vaccine dangers

Quite a long time ago, I remember either posting or facebooking that this was a problem. Everyone who decided not to use the HPV Gardasil vaccine "against cervical cancer" was considered a nut job. Why? Because this particular kind of cervical cancer is caused by sex with different partners. So, if we live what we conservative types have been taught, and stay monogamous, then we don't need this vaccine. So then we were told, well, NOBODY stays monogamous, and what if your daughter doesn't? And won't you feel bad if she dies of cancer because you were such a prude?

Oh, the insult to my intelligence knew no bounds. And since my daughter is four, it didn't really matter to me personally. But there were signs early on that this vaccine was dangerous. The medical community pushed for it anyway. There was a huge ad campaign. It was crazy.

And now, today, this: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/story?id=8356717

Pushing things through too fast seems to be a trend in quite a few places: government, economics, etc. I'm so not getting that swine flu shot unless it really looks like the cost benefit analysis wins out. So far, it sounds like they are not testing it much and letting rhetoric win again. Personally? I'd rather take my chances without at this point. But that will be another post.

I really feel bad for the families of these girls. This is very sad, indeed.
blog comments powered by Disqus