Monday, August 31, 2009

Homeschooling, ready or not...

Hello!

Today is a Monday. In two days, we will try two days of homeschooling. I'd start tomorrow, but there's a fair to be had. I do it Friday, but there are grandparents to visit. Today is my husband's weekend, so we'll avoid weekends anyway, and I plan to use a basic four day week with a couple of subjects on the fifth. In fact, a very cool person I know thought we could do science together this year, and then another cool person apparently has a whole box of experiment supplies, and then there's this fourth person who loves doing science with kids even if hers aren't very old. So it looks like Wed mornings will work for that, and that means that we will spend that day as our "fifth day" so we can do science and not mess everything else up. Gabe, doing fifth grade this year, will have to read history and do math and practice piano that day as well.

I'm very excited about this year, but also wondering if I'm crazy. I will try homeschooling a fifth grader, a first grader, and a kindergartner. I am supplementing with Mr. 1st grader so much, the syllabus doesn't matter much. Here are the programs we're going to use to supplement with him:


Sing, Spell, Read, Write (1998 ed.)


and:

Math U See Alpha level

The science we're using is this: Apologia Science

It is part of a series, and pretty in depth. It is also creationist, which is very interesting for me to tackle. I'm really on the fence on that particular argument, and it's worth a post of its own. Really. But suffice it to say, it appears easier to supplement creationism than to teach Darwinism and keep saying "but it's not completely proven" all the time. Like I said, it's worth at least one post of it's own. But if you want to start on it yourself, this is the book I'm reading right now:


The Politically Incorrect Guide To Science


Have a great year, homeschooler or not!
blog comments powered by Disqus