Sunday, August 24, 2008

Meet the Robinson's review

Hi Y'all,
I am so impressed, though slightly addled, by the movie "Meet the Robinson's". I can see why it wasn't an overnight super duper hit. All those slightly nerdy ones seem to develop a cult following over the years instead, and I think this might be one, but I'm not sure.
The basic story is that a boy grows up in an orphanage, and his ongoing wish is that he could see his birth mom, since no one has adopted him yet and he's close to 13. He knows there's not a lot of time left before his chances go down for a happy adoption. He's also fantastically smart, and ends up traveling through time. He meets his future family, and finds out that his future is far more exciting than his past and that he could ruin it by dwelling on things he cannot change. It's quite a good message.
The story is very convoluted, as far as having a lot of characters, most of which are completely and utterly zany, but fun. They are also a loyal family, which is very fun to watch. The message of "moving forward" and focusing on an optimistic future was a really good one.
The part I liked best, honestly, was when we watched the parts about how the movie was made. The director was adopted himself, and he took this children's book by William Joyce (Rolie Polie Olie and George Shrinks on Disney Channel and PBS, based on books), and he wanted to work on it. He said that his adoptive parents were always open, and said when he was 18, he was more than welcome to go looking for his birth parents. He said he woke up one day, and he was 24, and he hadn't even bothered to look. He realized he hadn't even thought about it, despite having had the power to go looking for the past six years! He was too focused on his OWN LIFE. In the present. Looking to the future.
Our adoptive child, soon to turn six, seemed to be thinking pretty hard during the movie. He was quite huggy afterward, and when I asked him if it made him feel weird, he said yes, but he was also very excited to watch it again immediately. I told him tomorrow, but I'm glad he liked it. I heard that some foster kids did not like it at all, so I wasn't sure how this would go over, but I decided to risk it.
It was neat for him to see the director say, "I was adopted, and while my story was not the same as the movie, I always wondered about my birth mom and asked the same questions this character did." It seemed like a very good message to me.
If you don't like crazy storylines and science fiction plots, you probably won't like this movie, but if you can sit and let it wash over you, and enjoy a good message, you might like it just fine.
blog comments powered by Disqus