Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Grace in the hospital

Hi Folks,

I thought I would post my letter from last night, then post an update, though not much has happened in the middle of the night... it's 7am, figured I shouldn't call too many people at that hour!

as of last night:
Well, it has been quite a day. So far, Grace is resting peacefully, though she does wake up and wonder for a minute what's up with that IV in her hand.
We went to our dr. at 9:45 this morning. Wait a sec. Back up. We went to the ER with Grace on Sunday night. She had an ear infection. But then we went to the bathroom as we left, and she had peed blood! I brought her back in, they took a look, said no idea, follow up with your dr. tomorrow. Since then, she's been peeing blood. We went to our pediatrician yesterday twice, and she was up doing research at home long after her shift at work. She sent us to Children's and we got here around 11:30 am. We were in the ER til 6:30 and are now safely upstairs. We are also in isolation, so no visitors, and I'm not allowed to go socializing. Thank God for my laptop! No cell phone either, since I can't go in the common areas and I shouldn't use it in the room (but I might anyway, if I get desperate). They put us in isolation partly because of her cough, partly because the baby also has it, and because we still have NO IDEA what this is.
What we do know is that her red blood cell count is 14, which is very bad, and she is awaiting a blood transfusion sometime this evening. They did several blood draws today, and Grace has been very brave, but she has had it with an IV and oxygen sensor attached to her. We have watched an awful lot of tv.
We're here for the night, and as far as I know, the boys are at the Crocker's. Francis is going to work tomorrow, and I hope to maybe meet the boys in the parking lot tomorrow, since we're not allowed to have visitors, but I am allowed to leave Grace for a bit. I'll check my email a lot, and I'll send out a phone number later when I can. Meanwhile, Francis is at 206 851 9065.
We were hosts for Rosary this week, so please check your calendar and ask another host if you can come over. Something tells me this might take a while.
Thanks everyone for everything. We can sure feel the love and prayers over here!
God bless,
Ann Marie, Francis and the rest...

As of 7am 2/27/08:
We had a hard time sleeping in the hospital, but that was expected. Francis stayed here, figuring the commute was shorter that way anyway. We have a very nice view of Sand Point Way and UW and such. Grace had less blood last night, and she had a transfusion, which bumped up her energy significantly for a bit around 10pm. Then she slept all night. At 6am they had to do another blood draw, which woke us all up. Drat. But it had to be 4 hours after the transfusion ended. Grace is happily eating dried pea crisps from Trader Joe's, and we await breakfast, a shift change, and coffee. Also, test results would be nice. Hopefully after the shift change we'll hear something and I'll put it here.
Her energy and color are good, but she'd like to go to the Crockers and see her brothers. Thanks for all the kind emails, folks!

1 comment:

  1. Are you at Children's? Can you have visitors, or do you want to stop by? We live about 5 blocks away. We could also meet at the Burke-Gilman playground (just across the street from the hospital). Just in case it might help to have friends near-by.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.