Monday, February 25, 2008

Cowboy Time, By Baxter Black


From: http://www.cowboypictures.net


I am oft reminded of this poem, and it comes from a book called Cactus Tracks, by Baxter Black. It reminds me of my ranch-raised youth, and also of my friends, but mostly of life in general. Here's what Baxter had to say about why he wrote it. I strongly recommend any of his stuff to anyone. He's on NPR, too. Even my husband, who barely visits the outside, rural world, just about died laughing on a road trip we took with one of these books in the tape deck. Enjoy!

I grew up a Southern Baptist. We were strong believers in Creationism. Then I went to veterinary school. There is an almost incestuous relationship between scientists that demands, "If you expect me to believe you when you say my horse has navicular disease, then I expect you to believe me when I say that this rock is twenty-five million years old." Scientists believe in evolution.
So I have spent a lifetime bearing the burden of trying to resolve Genesis and evolution. This was my solution.

Cowboy Time

If Genesis was right on track concerning Adam's birth,
And seven days was all it took to build the planet Earth,
Then where does carbon dating fit? And all the dinosaurs?
Plus all that other ancient stuff that happened on our shores?

Now, I believe in scientists. They aren't just lunatics!
But I believe in Genesis, which leaves me in a fix,
The answer finally came to me while making up this rhyme,
God made the earth in seven days, but... that was Cowboy Time!

Have you ever called the shoer, to set aside a day?
You scrutinize your calendar, say, "Tuesday'd be ok."
The big day comes, you take off work, alas, he's never seen.
You call him back and he inquires, "Which Tuesday did you mean?"

Did you ever place and order to get a saddle made?
An A-fork tree with padded seat and silver hand-inlaid?
As decades pass all you can do is sit around and eat,
So by the time it finally comes you've padded your own seat!

A friend came by on July 4th. He swore he couldn't stay.
But then he said, "For just a bit." He left on Christmas Day!
"A couple days", "a little while", "not a long", and "right away"
Should not be taken lit'rally in cowboyville today.

But like I said, the precedent was set so long ago,
The angels had to learn themselves what all good cowboys know.
They worried if they didn't work to keep the schedule tight,
That Earth would not be finished by the deadline Sunday night.

They'd never learned to think in terms of rollin' with the flow,
But God does things on Cowboy Time... to watch the flowers grow.
He bade the angels to relax and said, "For Heaven's sakes,
I'll get it done in seven days... however long it takes!"


blog comments powered by Disqus