Tuesday, January 8, 2008

more politics and facebook

This one is liable to ramble quite a bit, so watch out. There. You've been warned. I cannot be held liable for your confused state... just mine.
So. I keep looking at presidential candidates. I'm relieved to see that Hillary and Rudy are having a tough go of it, and I hope sincerely that that continues. It might be that we get less news over here, being in the western states, because when they do the tallying up of votes, they always call the race before we're even done over here. I guess we don't count, even though CA is over here. Huh. But anyway, I'm still not so sure about Ron Paul. I want to be sure, but his foreign policy is just to drastic. It's the only thing I disagree on, but I really, really disagree, and it's rather important. You can't just yank all the bases and yank all our troops from all over the world. First of all, it's impossible unless he's planning a dictatorship, because congress won't let that happen. So secondly, he's making promises he most certainly cannot keep. I'm glad Huckabee did so well in Iowa, and I wonder if Romney or McCain will do better in NH tonight. No way to know how it will all play out. However, it does appear Obama has quite a loyal following. I don't know if he has the know-how to pull this off, but it sure would be interesting to see such a different kind of person in the white house. I still prefer him over Hillary. Anybody but her!
On to Facebook:
I have a Facebook account. It is kind of fun, and has reunited me with several people from back in high school as well as college people who have been all over since I last saw them. It's quite enlightening. One of the most stark examples of change has been one friend who was in ROTC at Gonzaga, and now she is an episcopalian priest and so is her husband, who is a former circus performer (eats fire). She looks very happy! But wow!
Facebook is also the only reliable source of information from my rather uncommunicative sister. Ahem. If you are reading this, yes, I'm referring to you.
But in any case, what really irks me right now is stuff that is completely beyond my control. Nearly everyone on there is LIBERAL with great big, Hollywood sized letters. If they were liberal in high school, they are much more so now. Holy Toledo. My conundrum is this. I know NFP works. I know it makes marriages better, but I know that both NFP and marriage takes work and determination not to quit when the going gets tough. They both require a person to take the long view and put off what they want sometimes for quite a while. I know it's worth it. I'd like to share that with people. But then I see that they support Planned Parenthood and frequent gay parades with lots of rainbows, and I wonder if I should even start a conversation with "Hey, I noticed you support PP. I was standing in front of it this fall getting yelled at by people like you. What gives?". I mean, should I do that? Is it even worth it? What can I say that might break through the fog of "sex is a god"?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Meanwhile, I'm re-reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis when I'm nursing Dominic, and it's worth another read. It makes me realize what is going on from time to time in the world unseen by me, and reminds me that I'm just as prone to the dumb tricks of demons as anyone else. I also like the reminder that Satan is not the opposite of God, he's the opposite of St. Michael the Archangel. He can't be the opposite of his Creator. He's a fallen angel, not omnipresent like God. I wonder how many people even realize that if they even bother to think of angels and demons. I bet it allows demons a lot of room for their plots if people continue to dismiss the idea the way they do...
Which reminds me. Since baby Savoy is named Michael, I really need to find some St. Michael gear, right Eileen?

3 comments:

  1. How did you know I would read your blog? Yes, as soon as he is old enough to stay awake for more than a half-an-hour at one time, we will have to outfit him with some St. Michael gear. For now it will have to be blankets and onesies.

    I am torn about the how-to-evangelize-NFP thing, too. Mostly in the realm of family, but still valid. I've been going with the wimpy "wait until they ask" approach which I do not think I will see action on this side of eternity. Getting pregnant did spawn (hahha my pun) some interesting debates and it was very eye-opening to calmly disagree with someone who I thought would be in line with the whole "life is sacred in all forms thing" (i.e. professed Catholics) and not get through to them at all. So maybe I just know people that are particularly wedded to their beliefs (pro or con) but I don't seem to have made any dents when I have voiced an opinion. So I can't say that I intend to be much more vocal, but maybe a little tiny bit more. (very bold in the faith, I know)
    This is such a personal issue, and people have such private reasons for why they support one or the other that I sometimes think that reasoned debate doesn't reach the level that needs to be touched for real communication.
    I hope that equivocation helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Facebook - it's a bit easier for me, since I'm mostly politically liberal (why can't there be a pro-life Democrat? Yeah, I know why, but it would be great).

    On NFP- I know I've had a gradual effect on someone close enough to discuss personal choices like birth control. I keep suggesting that she track fertility info just to try and figure out why she's having such wonky cycles. She hasn't tried it yet AFAIK, but it's starting to come up in her conversations between herself and her husband. She's struggled with side effects from everything else that she has tried, so maybe God is laying a path for her.

    In general, I just talk about my BC / pregnancy experiences as much as the other person is comfortable with. I tend to focus on pragmatic issues and secular arguments, even though I don't think they are the biggest concerns. They often end up being gateways for the person to ask the thing that has been really bothering them. I've had some good conversations, and while I don't think I've changed any minds, maybe I've planted a seed.

    After all, I changed because of things people said . . . rikki-san. God just guided your words, plus those of Father S. and someone else, into my ears at the right time, when I was ready to listen. And, oh yeah, you paid for our class materials too (do you remember that?) - big help. Maybe the most important thing is to make it easier for someone to change once they are ready?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ann Marie that NFP probably works if you do it right. I do not think you should talk with those of us who are liberal. I'm also pro homosexuality and pro-abortion. I disagree with the idea of o That doesn't mean that I think NFP is wrong or that people can't have the opposite view point. If anyone knows about have to hold out for what you want it would be me. I don't get as much sex as I'd want, not because I'm doing NFP but do to some medical problems my husband has, but that doesn't mean I'm not happily married. I guess I just don't think NFP is for everyone because not everyone is willing to do the research and from what I know it wouldn't work with out knowing what your doing. I guess my advice for you Ann Marie is to not assume that everyone who is liberal agrees with all the typically liberal ideas. If you approach any of us about the issue of homosexuality or abortion the way you mentioned you'll put us on the offensive and shut down any conversation.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.