Saturday, January 3, 2009

World News -- Odd level of violence, I think

We turned off cable a while ago, though we are always tempted to turn it back on right about now. Maybe when Gonzaga starts winning again, we will, but at this point, temptation is over.

One of the reasons we don't have it is because we can find what we want to find on the internet, including the news. But we don't have that usual, daily sit down in front of the tv and watch the day's events. So sometimes we don't get a great overview from just checking the favorite news sites.

I do check quite a few websites and blogs and find out interesting things. I think it is probably good to write them down sometimes, because sometimes things get lost in the news. What I mean is that I remember about a week or two ago, there was a big deal about the Athens violence going on, and then when Israel started bombing and now invading Gaza, well, I haven't heard a thing about Athens. And also the hotel in Mumbai that was invaded and people massacred. We had no time to digest that news before something else awful happened. Now that awful thing is all the news will cover. Isn't that a bit weird?

And before that we had all about what Mrs. Obama was wearing on election eve, and how amazing looking Obama himself looks on the beach with not much on. Why is our news so darned DUMB? I don't care what the Obama's are wearing, for crying out loud! And I don't care that Britney Spears is doing so much better, either. I would like to see some historical references and real news pieces on ongoing events. The only place I get anything like real news is NPR, and they are slanted, too. But at least they cover more territory, and they tend to interview very interesting people.

I'm not sure what my point is here, except that it is awfully hard to keep track of history and the connections between events if no one will report on them because the news has such a short attention span. I'd like to have intellectual news for a change, and if I want to read People magazine type news, I will read it at the dentist's office.

Rant over.
blog comments powered by Disqus