Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Money management

I know I have that little debt ticker there. I guess I have to update it, but I have no exciting news that will show up on it.
I would like to mention that we paid nearly $2200 in car repairs yesterday, and we did it in cash because of the perfect timing of paychecks from two different jobs coinciding with the break down of the car, which happily only warned us and did not leave us stranded. I learned two new things from this car break down (don't I always, and always too late). A friend of mine said she had the same thing done years ago for $300 by a muffler shop. Now she tells me. Also, if your tires are getting much too thin, the tire pressure light does go on, but sometimes it goes on slightly early in cold weather, because of air pressure changes caused by weather. If the pavement is freezing cold, as ours has been, and you are getting to the end of your tires, the light will go on only because of the weather. Good to know, because I just bought tires on that last bill, and I prefer to buy two at a time, usually. Now I know.
I wish I could know these things beforehand instead of after the fact.

Anyway, I'm proud we paid that bill without the credit card this time. We must be getting better, or else God is having mercy on my poor soul. Now that a real paycheck has arrived, I can put our savings transfer from Etrade into real savings and finally have that "pillow" I've always wanted.

We also found out that we can join legal services at my husband's company for $18/month, and have our will done. We'd like our kids to go going to the right people most of all. I'm so glad we can sign up for that, and I'll have to see what their actual small print policy is so we don't continue paying $18/month.

Finance is very interesting. Too bad no one told me that either. But now I'm finding out!

While we're on the subject of New Year's type things, I did really make it to the athletic club, and I did really work out. I was annoyed by the sheer number of tv's and what was on them, but that's ok, I'm really sore, two days later, like usual. A rowing machine is more fun if there isn't someone behind you screaming to go faster. Then again, that might help.
blog comments powered by Disqus