Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lasik and cars

What a day!

Francis got Lasik surgery done today. It went great, but I don't think he anticipated the follow up pain today. He said it's like sandpaper in his eyes. Ouch! He's sleeping now, and he has to put eye drops in whenever he isn't sleeping. Three different kinds. But he did say that he came out to the waiting room (very shwank, by the way) and he could see license plates across the street and what they said on them. Minutes after surgery. Wow. This is the guy who can't see the tv very well from 10 feet away. Follow up and everything costs 3600 bucks. Wow. But hey, what better way to spend your IRS refund, huh?

We've also been trying to buy a car. We've had some luck, but mostly not. Then I remembered my cousin is a car mechanic, and it took me a while to remember that we are going to CA, and we could buy a car from him. Boy am I slow. He has a jetta, so we'll consider it. Needs some body work, but if its insides are happy and it isn't a smoker car, we just might go for it. His family friendly price is very good. Apparently this particular Jetta has a fan club, so we'll see if it's what we want. It just makes me miss my vanagon. Meanwhile, we're going to look at an Infiniti Q45 tomorrow, but it's more expensive. Then again, it's right here down the street, not in San Francisco. I just want a car!!

What a good year. Never ever could I have expected that we could pay for a car, lasik and an RV trip, AND get completely out of consumer debt in one year! Come to think of it: six months! That is crazy talk!

Hooray for finally breaking through to the other side.
Thanks, God!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! You guys have really been blessed. Wow. I am so happy for Francis - I wonder if there is a similar surgery that could help Bjorn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very possibly MS will pay for it. We went through TLC in Bellevue, and they were great. There are several different ones, and Francis found out today that he has 20/15 vision after having 20/400. Yes, 20/400. Happy guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite an impressive jump. The last time I went in for glasses, the optometrist told me a was a great candidate for laser eye surgery since my prescription hadn't changed much in nine years. I said that with 20/50 - 20/60 vision, it wasn't a high priority for me. (It's the astigmatism that makes it hard for me to see, not the spherical distortion.) And I only wear my glasses part time, and not at all in front of a computer, which is most of my work time.

    At least one of my sisters has had laser surgery and she's very happy with it several years on. I can imagine after a lifetime of thick glasses and/or contacts that it would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.