Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Jamee, Shel Silverstein's evil twin...

So, I sent that poem to three lovely ladies, and one of them wrote me back. I should have expected. This is the same person who once wrote "An Ode to Cocoa Puffs". I know I have it somewhere. Have I mentioned I have a paper problem?

Anyway, I may not reach June's status when I "grow up", but Jamee always has. Maybe that's why I like her. I miss you Jammooo!
Love,
Yon Fool

Jamee's Version-- April Fool's Day 2008

When I am an old woman I shall stand barefoot in the wet lawn
In my favorite pajamas and sing off key with the birds.
And I shall pick every fluffy dandelion and “foof” it all over the yard
And wipe my muddy hands on the guest towels.
I shall learn to speak Gaelic and smile at the grumpiest people I know
And I will laugh when the wind tangles my hair and I won’t brush it out.
I will stand in the rain with no coat on and I will warm up with hot chocolate,
Several cups overflowing with extra marshmallows and peppermint sticks.
I shall set the TV to classical and jazz music stations
And play along on the piano
And be full of God’s love.

You can wear stuff that doesn’t match
And clothes that were never in style
And use words that never existed
And no one will know that you know.

But now we must keep our loud voices down
And pull weeds and keep things in order
And let our neighbors sleep and not be a bother.
We must be on time and invest our money in 401Ks.

But people who know me already know
That I’ve been practicing ahead of time.
They won't be shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to go barefoot.

1 comment:

  1. I like this version even better!

    LOL, I think because standing barefoot in my lawn suits me better than purple. And because I'm practicing too ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.