Saturday, November 14, 2009

My response to the CPS part of Robin's letter

The breastfeeding part was just one part, of course, if you read the rest, there was a newborn taken from its parents by CPS this week. I have met the mom more than once, and I have heard of the risk factors. I decided to really go out on a limb and send this to the group Robin sends her letters to. We'll see what kind of mail I get in response. Sigh...

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to send out a few thoughts, though please keep in mind I'm not in
direct contact with her particular situation, as I'm sure many of us are not. I
know some folks are pretty hot-blooded on the subject of CPS, and sometimes for
good reason, but please bear with me.

The reason I want to share is because I've been a foster parent, and have
adopted a child from the "system". I know I'm not the only one on this list who
has. I have met Dawn previously, probaby up to seven years ago and on occasion
since, usually at pro-life activities, and we have many friends in common. In
fact, had we known, there are at least two of us who have met Dawn who are
licensed by the state and in the same county and could have kept him at our
homes. But we did not know in time.

CPS does not take away newborns lightly, in my experience. They do not keep
them away from moms and dads for long if they can possibly help it. There are
the occasional social workers who are terrible, but they are seriously in the
minority. We had absolutely wonderful social workers, both through DCFS and
through CCS (Catholic Commm. Services). We have two friends who are adopting
hopefully in the next couple of months, and while frustrating, it is also very
rewarding to foster to adopt.

I want folks to know that if Dawn and her husband stay as calm as possible and
do what the court orders, that baby could be back in their arms within days. If
there is a real problem, that may not happen right away. I have seen many cases
where I dearly, dearly wish a child had NOT been returned to its birth parents,
because I feared for its safety, and I think and pray for those children all the
time. I have seen parents get too MANY chances, not too few. But I have also
seen cases where CPS has torn families apart who did not deserve it.

Whoever is caring for Dawn's child is very likely to be falling in love with
him, too. Please keep everyone in your prayers. One thing that I see happen in
these situations is that people do not know what the steps are in this
situation, so they automatically make CPS and co. out to be the "bad guys".
That may or may not be the case. I don't know. And that's the point, neither
do most of us. There is quite a bit of privacy involved in these cases, so when
they make the newswaves, people all make judgements without possbily knowing the
whole story.

I dearly hope the baby is returned soon, and his family can work on their
healing together. I can't imagine a much more traumatic experience. Please
just pray, and try not to judge without all of the information. Sometimes these
situations turn into a huge blessing of help and services and information the
parents did not know they needed. I hope this is the case this time.
blog comments powered by Disqus