Friday, June 5, 2009

Homeschool Socialization tennis

The Common Room posted a thingy on socialization today, which happens about once a month. We homeschoolers hear a lot about socialization. I could go on and on, but let me link you to this discussion. Some people lost their tempers, but others were very, very thoughtful. I'm linking to the original post here:
http://teacherrevised.org/2009/05/30/the-case-against-homeschooling/

And here is my favorite response. The second half of her reply is most interesting:

Mom2Many
June 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. Your blog is a prime example of why soooo many parents homeschool. Let me take this comment by comment.

10. How many colleges have you worked at? None? Didn’t think so. I have and as a registrar and having done screening for several programs plus done outreach at public and private schools getting kids into college, I have yet to hear comments such as your’s. I’ve heard, as have the homeschooled kids I’ve helped, “wow, wish I could have been homeschooled.” Now, I have heard geeks/nerds who came out of public schools and private schools mocked and bullied for being geeks/nerds. Seems to be a “normal” part of the “socialization” process of public/private schools. Surely you aren’t too old to remember that and surely you see it on a daily basis if you teach at a school.

9. Well, call me unrealistic but I think people who voice opinions about where classrooms are should actually have some experience about the subject they are talking about. Yes, *some* families use the kitchen table. And, yes, *some* families may use the family/livingroom to study in. HOWEVER, so do public/private schooled kids to do their homework. Are you saying that studying shouldn’t be done in these rooms? Or only by homeschoolers?

8. Now, you say you are college educated. I don’t know this to be a fact but, IF you are then you have to have been in school for at least 17 years. Over all those years you should have learned two things: do your OWN homework, and polls, surveys and statistics say exactly what the person doing the poll, survey or crunching numbers for statistics want them to say. A poll, survey or statistic is only as good as what went into them. Surely you know that.

7. “(Personally I’m agnostic, but I’m just saying…)” Nah, what you were doing there was being obnoxious, sarcastic and making a fool of yourself.

6. All that going to college proves is that you went to college. It certainly doesn’t prove you can teach whether you majored in a subject or not. If this were true then schools wouldn’t be failing the children of America! It is pure unadulterated arrogance for people to think simply because they went to school longer than someone else that they are better at doing something than someone else.

5. Ah, see #7 above.

4. Hmmmm, interesting concept except it’s pure conjecture. However, we do know that public schools breed hate. We do know that private schools are havens of intolerance and the elitist “we’re better than *them*” thinking. Are you perhaps projecting what you’ve seen in private schools?

3. Again, besides a brain fart, what are you basing this on? We get that you are ignorant of and biased against homeschooling. However, as a supposed educator shouldn’t you practice what public/private schools preach — do you homework, do your homework, do your homework. For 13 years public/private schooled kids have some adult standing over their shoulders or standing at the front of a classroom pounding them with “do your homework.” Ah, could I suggest you practice what you preach!

2. Do you really teach? You quote *one* person’s *opinion.* And opinion, might I add, loaded with qualifiers of “probably,” “might,” etc. Sorry, so far I see a failing grade on this particular blog.

AND, as far a playing Russian roulette with a child’s future, ah, take a look at the report cards on schools. Take a look at the Department of Justice stats on abuse in public/private schools BY teachers. Take a look at the stats on the potential to be sexually abused in public/private schools. Take a look at the potential for a child to fail who comes out of a public/private school.

1. “And finally, well,” I think you lie. Sorry, I really don’t think you have met many, if any, homeschoolers.

Now, as to your answers to others and your blog in general, as an English teacher, or so you say, it is frightening that you didn’t head for your dictionary before you wrote this blog (geek: a carnival performer who does disgusting acts; eccentric: a person with an unusual or odd personality (Princeton); or Geek is a common term for someone who is obsessed by their computer, and has achieved a high level of expertise in their chosen area (Science Technology glossary); short for computer geek, an individual with a passion for computers; a term similar to nerd). I would think a mother could easily tell if her child was a geek.

BTW, you “get” an education. You “are” homeschooled.

Now, if you are doing a survey, I have homeschooled my children, my nieces and nephews and a couple of dozen “throw away” children that came in all ages, sizes, colors, ethnic groups and races. I am a minority. I am not rich. I’m not a college graduate and I’ve done a better job with the “throw away” kids my children brought home than the public schools they had all dropped out of did. All the kidlets learned Spanish, Italian, French, German (won an award in German poetry) and/or Russian (none of which I speak), sign language, biology, economics, history, chemistry, government, physical science, English (they won Young Writers Awards in national competitions), dance, art, sewing (won many awards and Best in Show), ag (won many Grand Champions), riding (won hundreds upon hundreds of local, state and national awards and championships), auto mechanics, auto body work. Most of them read all of Shakespeare. At least half read War and Peace. They are all proficient using the computer. Oh, and sports — basketball, baseball, football, softball, gymnastics, soccer, tennis and the list goes on and on and on.

Each and every single one of these children were, dare I say, . . . Perhaps you should sit down before you read any further. ALL of the kidlets were UNschooled. Yup, they never sat down around the table from 8 to 3. They were never required to study anything. They all wanted to learn and learn they did. Each and every single one that wanted to go to college went to college. Each and every single one of them that wanted to learn a marketable skill did so. They have gone to community colleges, four-year colleges and universities. Why, even universities in other countries. They have apprenticed. They now manage companies or own their own companies. They are in the Marines and in the Navy. They are accountants and special ed teachers and work with the developmentally disabled.

My house was filled, on a daily basis, with public, private and charter schooled children. Their graduation parties were held at my house because their schools wouldn’t allow them to have a party. My *homeschooled* children went to public school proms. Many went to proms at multiple schools which they couldn’t have done if they were public schooled. They all did volunteer work. They are all politically savy, active and vote. And, before you jump, not necessarily the way I would want them to.

I don’t know where you got your notion that homeschoolers don’t socialize unless what you mean is that they aren’t locked up in an artificial environment where their only social interaction is with children of the same age. Or you define socialization as learning to bully or be bullied. Or you define socialization as being beat into submission where they have to have permission to use the bathroom.

In fact, while I’m thinking about, my life would have been a bit more peaceful if there had been less socialization! Not that I’m really complaining but facts are facts.



Lots and lots of interesting discussion here! I enjoyed it, but I really must move on with my day and write a grocery list now.

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. The whole "socialization" thing is weird. I tell some certain people that I spent my first 7 years of public school feeling picked on, victimized, alone, and crying daily - and they are so sure that public school is the best, or rather only, source of socialization that they try to convince me that this is good preparation for life! Sorry, but most adults just aren't like that. These are the same people who make the argument about not removing your children from the school system because it's selfish.

    Socialization is my main reason for wanting to homeschool. I've been through public school socialization, and as the LOLCats say: DO! NOT! WANT!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.