Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And they're off!

Homeschooling, that is.

It's going really well so far. Teaching Brandon is like pulling teeth, but he does not win, so each fight is shorter. Sing, Spell, Read and Write is going very, very well. Math U See is going well, probably better than anything else would. He just is annoyed I won't let him progress. But if he can't explain it to me, then he doesn't understand it. Sometimes I wonder if that's because of his speech oddities, like there's a short circuit somewhere in the expressive language department. But we'll keep practicing, and he's making progress.

Today we did science together with another family, but I didn't get to take pictures. I kept getting distracted. We did an experiment with Bernoulli's Principle, which, strangely enough was covered both in our Webelos scout book and in the science book, which means two whole families killed two birds with one stone today! Hooray! It was great to have the kids try out their hypothesis and then squirt each other in the eye with straws when it turned out they were incorrect! :)

Grace and Brandon are working together on math and reading, and it seems to work out ok. Dominic really wants to be a big boy, so he keeps trying to do it all. This makes some things hard. Then again, he knows ALL his letters. He turned 2 in late May. Some friends got him a Leapfrog ABC toy that says the letters and sounds, and he plays with it all the time. Hooray! Smart kid.

Gabe is doing fifth grade Mother of Divine Grace this year, except that we do Singapore Math and Apologia Science so far. The history part is FASCINATING. I love it. I am learning lots myself! To think there are things about American History that are covered in little kid books that so many Americans don't know. I wish they cared to know. It's sooooo interesting and important in order to understand current events. Seriously. I'm so glad we get to learn it together.

Here are some pictures to prove we are actually working. Thought you'd enjoy! Please pardon the missing Brandon. I'll have to take a pic of him tomorrow instead. He was delighted with these phonics workbooks. He loves to color!







3 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun! I don't know if I'll be able to homeschool my kids or not, but I'm having fun teaching Madeleine lots of things now. It's exciting to watch kids learn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    You've got lots of time. When I had littles like you, I went to some homeschool mommy groups to check it out, and read some books and magazines, and I was hooked. The idea is that it be fun. If it is consistently not fun, for say a whole year, either one needs to change their tack or give it up. Often asking around for ideas when in a rut helps a ton.
    You'd be awesome, I have no doubt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, I don't think I've ever learned Bernoulli's principle. I've learned enough physics that it's easy to understand why / how it works, but I never learned the priciple itself. I had to Wikipedia it, and it wasn't familiar.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.