Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Miss CA is honest, thank goodness

Since the whole debacle made me mad enough to spit, I will just give you a link from CNN. This particular columnist is not my favorite guy most of the time, but this time he said exactly, exactly, what I was thinking.


http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/22/martin.miss.california/index.html


You know what else makes me super mad? Several times I've had this happen. I've even lost a facebook friend over it. "Gays should be allowed to marry, and you shouldn't be against it, because you are in a bi-racial marriage, and that used to be illegal, too."

BARF!

Yes, racism is wrong. I like being married to my husband, yes! But it just is not the same thing! That's a law that was different in different countries, times, and places, and changed a lot over the centuries. But marriage between two people who have the same body parts? If people want the ability to leave their partner things in their will, and to say yay or nay when someone is brain dead, and even to have shared insurance benefits, I'm ok with that. Not my cup of tea, but I'm not against it. But marriage has ALWAYS been defined as man and woman, for the closeness of the relationship, and for procreation. It's natural law, and it's law according to almost any common sense in the world, no matter what religion you are or aren't. Changing the meaning of marriage cheapens it. My opinion, but also that of many, many others.

I hope you enjoy the above article.

2 comments:

  1. By the way things are going, it seems that we are going to have gay marriage the law of the land. That is very sad and kind of scary. How do we hold our own and Catholic Christians in a world that is so upside down? Not only that, I wonder if the next step will be to force the Church to follow suit? Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous...however, nothing new under the sun. This has happened before. Think of Rome just before it's fall, or Sodom and Gamora (spelling???).

    That being said, I wonder how far we can be pushed to swallow this agenda before the dam breaks and we in the "silent majority" stop taking it? Will we really let this happen without a BIG fight? NOT ME and your blog and your courage to stand up for what is right is commendable. Keep it up. I like how your blog is about current political issues (what I'm trying to move away from on my blog:).

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing is, it really is a slippery slope. We have no idea, as a nation, why marriage exists. It used to be about biological families, sharing resources to raise children as a permanently committed household, in a covenant before God, etc. Very clear-cut, compared to today. Now, is it about children and families? Sex? Legal rights? And so on.

    So, why shouldn't two sisters be allowed to marry now, if two unrelated women can wed? Filing joint on a tax return could help them care for an aging parent. Why not sisters and brothers? Why not three women? Why not fathers and daughters? What right do we have to restrict these choices just because we don't like them?

    And so the argument goes, until marriage is something entirely different, and only a vacuum remains where legal marraige as we knew it was . . . hopefully the Church can fill that vacuum, by continuing to give a clear and authoritative teaching on what marriage is. But how much better not to have that vacuum in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Especially thoughtful ones.